|alter (splott) wrote in rp_tutorials,|
@ 2009-02-12 11:57:00
|Entry tags:||tools: html|
Fake Link Tutorial
Unimpressed with Squeaky's face? Want to change the colors of a user-link? This (short) easy tutorial will walk you through how to change them.
Like on many S2 layouts, you can change the view of the user-image to something like. Problem is, that it only looks good on the layout, unless you force comment page views.
There's one way you can change it, other than the journals in two manners.
1) Off Site Host.
Here is an example of an off-site host. I use Ripway (you can also use custom pages on ij (if you pay) or scribbld to link to instead). Notice how I have the username linked? Its just a fake link, with a tiny-icon image. The advantages of this is that it's real html, editable with CSS and that love love love fun stuff. Downside is that if you don't have html skills or css, then it's probably more of a hassle than you want.
2) Fake link.
It's exactly the same as above, only you can do one color and some of the hovering and "cool stuff" is limited to what you can do for links.
HOW TO FAKE LINK
1) you need a tiny icon! You can get some pixel ones here or some bigger ones here. Or something like here.
16x16 px is the best size. You can also find some on livejournal. Like here and here or a list here . We are going to use by minty_peach.
2) Have a link ready! I will just link to RP Tutorials.
3) Your code looks like this currently: <lj user="rp_tutorials"> and produces rp_tutorials
4) Change The Link and Image! <a href="http://asylums.insanejournal.com/r
p_tutorials/profile"><img src="http://i41.tinypic.com/14l20pt.png " border="0"> </a><a href="http://asylums.insanejournal.com/r p_tutorials/">rp_tutorials></a></b>
and this produces rp_tutorials.
5) Change The Color! IJ has its own color scheme. But if you add <font color="333333"> right before the name of your link (in this case rp_tutorials) and close it with </font> between the link A HREF then you will have a different color. Like rp_tutorials.
6) Quick Code!
PROFILE URL with the link to the profile
TINY ICON URL with your link to a hosted tiny icon (no hotlinking remember!)
JOURNAL URL with the link to the journal (just http://journal.insanejournal.com/)
FONT COLOR with the hex code (six letters/numbers that make a color) for the color of that font you want.
JOURNAL NAME with what you want the link to read.
HOW TO FAKE LJ-CUT
We all know what LJ cuts look like! (if you don't know what one is then go here and educate yourself please). But what if you don't want to collapse part of your entry and just link elsewhere, but make it look uniform? FAKE CUT LINK.
( THIS IS A FAKE CUT )
To get one: <b>( <a href="http://asylums.insanejournal.com/r
p_tutorials/profile">THIS IS A FAKE CUT</a> )</b>
The same things apply, if you want a font color to change the color of the text area, you can do that too.