|The Struggle Within Mods (sw_mods) wrote in sw_authors,|
@ 2008-09-26 19:14:00
Every game needs rules so we all know what is acceptable and not acceptable. So, without further ado ...
1. You must be at least 18 years old to submit an application. A form can be found at this post.
2. You are allowed three characters. Original characters are permitted in The Struggle Within. However, you may only apply for an OC if you already have one canon character and have already demonstrated that you are able to be an active participant in the game. Fourth characters will be considered if the current player has kept active with the other three, and the fourth character is a character that is needed in-game. Character receipt depends on the moderators and other applications. Applications should be filled out completely, thoughtfully, and with the kind of quality that can be expected in posts. Any incomplete applications will not be considered.
3. Any major plot points or character changes (special ability, etc.) should be approved by the moderator. This includes plots that will affect more than one or two characters (pregnancies, deaths, torture, etc). All PBs are subject to moderator approval.
4. You may not attribute actions or quotes to another player's character without approval from that player. Similarly, you may not enact plots that will affect other characters in a major way without their agreement. Also similarly, you cannot kill any character that is not yours.
5. Good grammar and spelling are musts. We're not looking for Ayn Rand, but the spellchecker on your word processing software works wonders.
6. Anachronisms are not allowed. This game starts in the year 1997 in the wizarding world. Bear that in mind. Additionally, because it is the wizarding world, NO NETSPEAK. See #5.
7. Scenes can be rated up to NC-17, but NC-17 scenes must be marked accordingly above the post.
8. Your characters must be active. Primary characters must be played every two weeks, Secondary characters once every four weeks, and Tertiary characters once every six weeks. Playing more often, however, is welcomed and encouraged!
9. Character consistency, game-canon keeping, and plot consistency are all subject to moderation. It shouldn't need to be said (but we've found that it is), but Mary Sues/Gary Stus are absolutely forbidden. If we think your character is veering off into MS Territory, we will tell you. Remember, no one is perfect! Characters should have imperfections in all aspects of their personalities. Any player that consistently persists on writing their character(s) as Mary Sues will be asked to work on their characterization, and if the tendency persists, they will be asked to leave the game.
10. You are encouraged to air grievances to a moderator, who will take action if action is needed. No abuse, verbal or emotional, will be tolerated in this game. You should treat other players as you would like to be treated in return. If there's a problem, please contact a mod. All mod decisions are final.
11. On threading: Threading, for those who are new, are the scenes between characters.
* You may prescene a thread in googledocs, if you prefer, or you may do it 'real time'. One person begins it and posts to the community, using the header (see PAGE). The other character(s) reply. See? Easy!
* All threads are in third person, past tense.
* Placeholders may be used if you want your scene to go up on a certain day, but you must include the completed header. Placeholders may not be used for more than forty-eight hours. If you need more time for some reason, please poke a mod.
12. On player absences from the game: Just like anything else you do with others, RPG is a commitment. Some of us can commit more time than others, and we understand that! However, if you feel you have to take a break for personal reasons (illness, finals, moving, etc), we just ask that you let a mod know, so we don't think you've fallen off the face of the earth. :) We worry when we don't see people on for a while! That being said, if you're going to be gone, you can either arrange for your character to be away or you can ask if other players will mention doing things with your character in their posts.
13. On NPCs: We love NPCs! We have several NPC accounts. Use them as you'd like. One icon per NPC and if in the keywords it says a certain person plays that NPC, please ask them to help you with your scene.
14. On Worldbuilding: WORLDBUILD! Please! Make up things about the HPverse! Create stores and restaurants, curses, jinxes and hexes, spells and charms, etc, just drop us a note in the authors comm to let us know!
15. Breaking any of the rules above will result in moderation and possibly deletion of posts. Any post deleted will be returned to participants with the request to repair and repost.
Finally, and this is not a rule but a statement… you must participate actively in this game. This means you must feel free to suggest scenes, you must feel free to instigate and offer up scenes and ideas. Be open with your fellow players, and honest! We are all here because we want to play, and no suggestions or ideas are a bother. They are welcomed!