By now you will have (we hope) heard that Scans Daily IJ will be taking up residence at DreamWidth. This will be the community's permanent home. Reasons for the move are outline in previous mod posts, available here and here. Outlined below is our rough timeline for the migration. We've built in some buffer time, in case comments or entries go astray during import.
1. Mods post a link to the invite code generator. Today.
Existing members should be able to see the post under the mod tag on both comms. New members, please email us at dailyscans[at]gmail[dot]com. Don't request a code at SD_Invite - we're saving those codes for after the migration.
2. Members use the invite code generator to create a DreamWidth account. Throughout the week.
Early birds, please take advantage of all of DW's excellent FAQs, to play around with your account's options, and to make yourself aware of LJ -> DW code changes. When Scans Daily DW is opened, we will be posting links to DW FAQs, all of our old FAQs and some new ones being written by mods and volunteers.
3. Scans Daily IJ is closed. Late night Saturday.
After Scans Daily IJ has been closed, a memorial post will go up, directing people to our new digs at DW, and celebrating our time on IJ. You will still be able to comment on old entries, but posting access will be limited to mods.
4. ScansDaily DW is opened. Mid day Sunday. Monday at the lastest.
Posting access will be granted to all members, as soon as we've ensured that the import has gone through without issue.
That means that yes, there will be a period of downtime while we import all the bajillion entries and comments from IJ to DW. We will have a moving day party post in NoScans, to tide us over.
- The icon space at DW has been upped to 15 for free accounts.
- The invite code system is currently under discussion. There is a possibility that the site will eventually do away with it. This will not affect migration, but is of interest to some members.
- DW is working on a fix that will allow open-id owners to edit imported posts and comments.
- We are still looking to put together a Delicious Tag Archive, in order to protect our entries from tag vandalism, and to archive more detailed metadata than journal-site tags are able to. If you'd like to help us get this project off the ground, please join SD_Volunteers.