|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-04-27 21:45:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team phoenix|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW #49, Team Phoenix Member, Pir8fancier!
Your Name (lj and/or Penname):pir8fancier
Your Team:Team Phoenix
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
I think anyone that writes slash needs to take a very close look at what is canon and what is not canon. That in as of itself is NOT majorly canon, so we slashers are particularly vulnerable on that score. Being the author of Snape: the Home Fries Nazi, I consider that story to be entirely canon when it was written. Why? Because it's so very true to the characters as written by JKR. I might have plonked them down in Arizona and taken away their magic, and shaved Snape's head, but I honestly do believe that these are as "canon" a rendering of Snape and Harry out there (considering that this story was written pre-DH). They do not deviate from their established characterizations one whit.On the issue of slash, I'm definitely vulnerable.
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
I would say that there are a number of Harry/Draco writers that have influenced my writing in that they raised the bar considerably and being the competitive bitch I am, I've strived to get as close to their "bar" as possible, but in Snarry, I haven't felt that way as much. Of course, the Snarry writers are just as brilliant as their H/D counterparts, but I think that H/D had been so well established that you couldn't help but be influenced by those who came before you or your characterizations of those two are at least similar in tone and construction.. Snarry wasn't as established a "ship" when I stumbled into it, so I wasn't as influenced by the writing, if at all. Not that I don't admire other writers, because I do. But I can honestly say that my Snape is my Snape. He does not borrow or is not influenced by any one else's Snape.
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
I do not think any story of them can have any sort of viable resolution without forgiveness on both their parts. Harry needs to forgive Snape for being a bastard of the first order. Snape needs to forgive Harry for being his father's son and for surviving his mother's sacrifice.
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
I would say that Snape has a phoenix like quality about him. He is/was a survivor.
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
Um, I tend to use a variety of betas, but I will say that when writing I tend to let the grammar go. Which is seven different kinds of ridiculous as I am a professional editor! But when I write I hear my characters speak, truly, and that tends to fuck with grammar.
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
I haven't collaborated with either another author or an artist, but I'm open to the idea.
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
She killed Snape. That says it all.
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
I think that the HP fandom is so large, that any sort of theme or kink is pretty well out there if you want to find it. I would say that now that canon is closed (sort of), I'd like to see the fandom tackle some of the meatier (and, unfortunately, potentially wankier) issues, like race relations.
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
I am thrilled and I thank the mods for including me. This will be my last Snarry story. I really don't have anything more to say, but I do have ONE more thing to say.
Thank you, pir8fancier! On days we post longer stories, we may post an interview in the evening to give you extra reading time. Don't forget to read, comment and vote! pir8fancier's story is not posted yet, but you can read her team's newest post, Leela Cat's Imaginis, while you're waiting.