|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-03-02 22:16:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team phoenix|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW # 13 - Yura_Slash!
Your Name: yura_slash
Archive link(s): http://yura-slash.livejournal.com (f-locked, complete) & http://yura-slash.insanejournal.com
Your Team: Team Phoenix
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
I consider 'canon compliant' to be fic or art that depicts something that happens in canon or something that happens following canon. I don’t consider anything that JKR has revealed outside of the books to be canon, and I sometimes consider EWE to be canon compliant, because the Epilogue just seemed so tacked on at the end, there. I figure that someone could just throw it out and still write something canon compliant. That’s my opinion, anyways!
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
I'm sure that it has, although I can't name a particular story that’s influenced me or anything like that. Sometimes I find myself about to write something and then I wonder: Is this fanon? And then I have to check my books or get on hp-lexicon to figure it out. If it's a fanon fact, I usually leave it out.
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
The fact that they're both so similar, and yet they clash at every opportunity because of their misconceptions about each other. That last scene in the Shrieking Shack is so heartbreaking because it seems like they finally understand each other. Severus understands how selfless Harry truly is, and Harry understands Severus' motivations and true feelings and it's just ... too late.
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
I think that's obvious! A phoenix could have healed him by crying on his torn neck and then picked him up and flown him to Madame Pomphrey. If only ...
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
hm... the sex parts? That sounds awful, but I think it's true. The sex scenes always came easiest to me, and it's only recently that I've tried really hard to create more interesting, multi-layered, longer plots.
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
I actually don't use betas regularly. On the occasions where I do have a beta read something over, they usually catch me going the easy way out on a plot or forgetting an element of the plot that I mentioned earlier. There are some tense issues sometimes, too, although my grammar and spelling are usually fine because of the focus I've had in my education.
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
Nope, I never have, but I would definitely consider it. I tried to do a joint project with an artist once, but one of us stopped emailing or something like that and it just went to pot. I had a basic plot planned out and everything, but it never saw the light of day :(
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
I think that it's a little less freeing, actually. It was much easier to enjoy reading and writing fanfics and art where the ending was created without being effected by how JKR decided to end things. Canon compliant fics were more fun because they all had different endings to the Voldemort dilemma, and some people came up with some really awesome conclusions!
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
Mpreg. I really enjoy a well-written mpreg. Some people are really squicked by it, but I think that everyone should give it a chance. Especially accidental and rare case mpreg, because it fits better with canon (as in, it's not a common occurence, and that’s why it isn't mentioned in canon).
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
I am so excited! But I'm also a bit worried about how well my fic will be received. I'm trying sooo hard to make this a good, plotty fic, with the smut saved for the end XD
Thank you, yura_slash!
Stay tuned for more Crack!art and Champion Interviews.