|Sailor Lum (sailorlum) wrote in snape_sanity,|
@ 2010-07-16 02:55:00
|Entry tags:||mod post|
The Tenets of Snape Sanity
Here are some tenets of Snape Sanity (broken down into sub-categories):
Note: The following covers responses to rabid Snapefen, who aren't welcome here.
ETA: This might still be under construction. It's being refined and having some stuff weeded out to make it more inclusive for all sane Snape fans and to get rid of anything repetitive. /ETA
- Snape is a messed up dude with redeeming qualities (YMMV on how many)
- Snape was ultimately redeemed in the books, although he was still a very flawed individual. (YMMV on how much/whether or not you find him redeemed in your eyes.)
- Snape was not a helpless victim of fate (he had choices and he’s responsible for those choices)
Blood Prejudice and Racism:
- Blood prejudice is a form of racism (along with it being a form of some other –isms)
- This post on Unfunny Business highlights some racefail in Snape fandom:
Rowling has forgotten long ago that her books are being read by Muggles
Snape and Lily:
- SWM is SWM because Snape screwed up big time and he came to realize that
- Snape did a Heel Face Turn (joined the side of good) because he loved Lily and didn’t want to see her dead. (Or was it obsession? YMMV)
- The following essays and meta point out the misogynyfail in fandom with regards to Lily:
Why Blaming Lily is Rooted in Misogyny - Part 1
Why Blaming Lily is Rooted in Misogyny - Part 2
And I thought the misogyny couldn't get any worse.....
Canon and JKR:
- It’s okay to be a “canon whore”
- Fan theories and ‘what if’s are dandy as long as you remember that they aren’t canon and might be unlikely (even if possible) in canon
- Bashing and slut-shaming JKR is horrid
- The fact that a particular ship didn’t sail does not ruin the books
- Both canon compliant fic and AU fic are welcome (including non-magical AU) ...Ditto for art.
- Slash, het, and gen are all welcome (as is femmeslash if you genderswap Snape or have a second ship in your fic besides a Snape ship).
- It’s best if anonymous posters sign their posts
- If you basically agree with the people criticized in ravenstar84’s essays or the people criticized and/or mocked at Unfunny Business and Fandom Wank, then this group is not for you
- We don’t all have to agree about everything (that would be boring) and there’s plenty of room to discuss theories and things left vague by canon, but heed the tone of the community as indicated by the statements above
ETA: This is the refined version of the list. I couldn't resist cleaning it up here on IJ as well (originally I was going to leave it up with del tags, but that looked so messy *eye twitch*).
PS: Please join the LJ version of Snape Sanity, if you can. It looks like it's going to be the more active version.