[Filtered to Dustin, Eddie, and El; filter edited to include Kamala a little later]
Welcome to the beginning of talking about our Starfarers game!
First, a question: how would you guys feel about asking Kamala Khan she wants to join? She's cool at school, and I don't think she has a game right now. Or maybe she does and it's just the timeslip version of her didn't. But I figured I could ask anyway, and that would bring us to four at the table, which is a pretty good number.
Second thing, here's a quick rundown on the races and classes, so you can start thinking about what kind of character you want to play. Classes:
- Marine: Basically your fighter class. Uses laser guns and hand to hand combat to kick ass on the ground.
- Pilot: Basically another fighter class, but provides air support with a shuttle or flies the main ship
- Engineer: Uses a drone and some other tech tricks in a fight, kind of feels like a space-ranger to me.
- Starwalker: closest thing to a mage class. Uses natural telekinetic abilities and space manipulation in battle. NOTE: this class cannot be played by humans
- Medic: Healer class, obviously. Keeps everybody alive (hopefully)
- Captain: Has some combat abilities, but mostly works as a support class, kind of like a bard. NOTE: If you want your own ship, you have to have someone playing this class.
- Smuggler: Basically your rogue class, but in space.
Note: El already mentioned she wants to play a StarwalkerRaces:
- Kanbarans: Long-lived residents of the planet Kanbara (average lifespan about 200 years). They're built like humans, but their skin comes in varying shades of blue and green, and they are comfortable in much colder temperatures than most humans. There is a dominant matriarchal religion on the planet, which if you're not going to follow you'll need a good reason for. They get bonuses to Intelligence and Wisdom.
- Oransi: Similar lifespan to humans, from the planet Insal. Their homeworld is much warmer than Vallo, with most regions being either tropical or desert by comparison. Don't call them lizardmen unless you're deliberately trying to be rude. They get bonuses to Dexterity and Strength.
- Human: You know humans, but we're kind of different in comparison to the other races. Humans are known in the galaxy as persistence predators, able to survive in all kinds of environments and keeping going when others would fall. Being from Vallo, they also have little bits of magic - nothing fancy, but any human character will have a minor magical talent or two. Humans get bonuses to Constitution and Charisma.
There are some other races available in the Bonus Books, but these are the ones in the base game, and I would really like it if we could stick to the base game for our first run at a campaign.
Okay, so there we go! Hit me with your thoughts! And when we decide about adding another person, then we can start talking about your ship and stuff.[Filter to Kamala Khan, added a little later]
Hey Kamala! Dustin, Eddie, El, and I are getting ready to start up a game of Starfarers with me DMing. It's a local Vallo tabletop RPG that none of us have played before, so we'll kind of be learning together. Want to join in? We haven't got a schedule set yet or anything, but we're thinking we'll play at Wicked Games.