Rules 1. Be nice. Always remember that behind the username, character, and userpic is a person with OMG! real feelings, real personalities, and real lives. Be adults and try to resolve issues on your own. If you need modly intervention, let us know.
2. Remember that there is a distinction between player and character. Just because a character doesn't get on with yours, it doesn't mean that the player hates your guts. We have to expect Hermione and Ron to interact more, plot more, thread more than Hermione and Peter. Also there will be natural (and occasionally inexplicable) chemistry between characters. Go with it. This is what makes the game fun!
3. All posts must be canon-compliant. JKR has given us a rich world with lovely characters and we are seeking to fill in the blanks, not rewrite the entire story. So, yes, sorry, Cedric is dead, Lily was married to James, Umbridge is a bitch, and VERY few people actually will say Voldemort. Now, if you want to play that Sirius and Minerva were lovers, just show us in your posts how that happened. Work with the canon. Use it as your framework and build.
4. Be creative with your posts! Post letters, journal entries, class notes, pensieve memories (fics under 2500 words), art works, photographs. Whatever fits within your character's personality and story. Show us Hermione's letters to Victor, Colin's pictures, Bella's memories, Remus' hospital reports, etc.
5. Follow the additional posting guidelines. Found HERE.
6. You must make a post at least once per month. If something happens, as it invariably does, email one of your mods. We only bite when asked to. :) Characters absent for more than 3 months will be rereleased.
7. Any posts which reference/involve another character or affect the community at large must be cleared by those involved. Plot away, be creative but don't godmod, please. So if you're going to post about the foundation of the Order, make sure Order Members know. (They'll probably offer useful suggestions or ideas for further plots!) If Unspeakables are tattooed with barcodes, check with anyone playing one first. If Colin is going to stalk Harry with his camera- oh wait. That's canon. *winks* Plot by email, by IM, or at thevoxbox.
8. Keep it real. IE, no Mary-Sues. If you start to Mary/Gary-Stu your character (if they are OMG!Perfect, suddenly become an black unicorn animagus without years of study, etc), you'll be contacted by a mod. Also, not everyone went to school with the Marauders. Sorry, folks. Let's see some logical age differences.
9. Adhere to standard rules of spelling, grammar, and punctuation. The exception to this rule is if you are writing a letter/journal/report and the errors would be in character. For example, we'd expect Crabbe or Goyle to have more mistakes in something they've written than Minerva or Hermione would.
10. You must fill out your contact information and keep it up to date. We (mods and players) need to be able to contact you! Suspected sockpuppets will not be permitted.
11. If you have any questions or concerns, contact your mods at firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to make this game fun and comfortable for everyone!
12. The mods retain the rights to freeze/remove posts that blatantly violate the rules, posting guidelines, or established canon. We hope never to have to use this rule. By and large we would just give you a friendly nudge to fix something. Such nudges will be made with icon nudity if so desired. ;)
13. Don't forget Rule #1. Bitchiness and/or wankiness will not be tolerated.