CHAMPION INTERVIEW # 14 - Veridian Dair!
We welcome another first-timer to the Games:
Your Name: Veridian Dair Your Team: Dragon
1. Which HP character gives you the most trouble to draw? Hands down, it's Snape every single time. I can never find consistency with him like other HP characters I draw repeatedly. Frankly, should I expect otherwise?
2. What was the first fandom you ever produced art for? Harry Potter! I seem to be stuck here... (is this a problem?)
3. Has your experience in fandom changed the way you do art? How? Absolutely! I've drawn things I would have never thought to just because people have asked. Would I have drawn Sirius' arse otherwise? Probably not. (I'm a Snape girl, but the things you do for friends) And because of two special fanfic writers, I actually had the nerve to keep going in fandom art. (Believe it or not, I'm kinda shy).
4. In a Snape/Harry/(Your team's Mascot) cage match, who wins? Oh, please. Dragons are fierce critters, but this is Snape we're talking here. The amount of dark magic that man knows? The dragon's going to be roasting on a spit. Some nice potiony marinade applied (I bet Snape's one hell of a cook too). Harry will just be standing there with a sh*t eating grin with his fork in hand. I hear dragon tastes like chicken. And better than Phoenixes - they're too chewy. (Okay Team Phoenix...just a little friendly banter here! Don't hex me!)
5. What are your favourite mediums to work with? Before my beloved graphic tablet arrived, it was colored pencil and guache. But my Wacom professional 6x11 tablet and the latest version of Photoshop which Santa/hubby brought me has become a rather obsessive habit. (I can quit at anytime, I keep telling people, but I'm really kidding myself).
6. What do you consider your strongest talent? Your weakest? Strongest: Facial expressions. That comes from years of being a portrait artist. I actually worked at Disneyland! One of those jobs was cutting silhouettes. I apprenticed for six months for that job. I've done tens of thousands of faces. (But I'm not bad at the male chest either, so I'm told). Weakest: still practicing at multiple characters together. Let's face it, most portraits are done with solitary people, smiling or relaxed.
7. Is there a piece of art that you think is your absolute best so far? Would you link it for us? I'm totally lame; I have no cool website. I've only been doing art again after a ten year sabbatical for about a year now. I only have a few Snarry pieces. The one I'm proudest of (and got some great reviews....thanks people!) is at Walking the Plank: http://www.walkingtheplank.org/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2784
8. What (or who) inspires you in Fandom? Two writers have been instrumental for inspiring me to keep going in this. I approached ObsidianEmbrace VERY nervously about doing a pic for her WIP story she was writing at the time. (You can find her stories on fanfiction.net and a couple of other websites). She was so wonderful and ooo'd and awww'd and it gave me a ton of self confidence. Before I knew it, I was creating illustrations for many of her chapters, and that taught me a great deal. And helped me "think" of myself as an artist again.
I gushed to her about a great RaeWhit story I'd read and how I wanted to do an illustration from it but was too nervous to email her and ObsidianEmbrace literally "pushed" me to do it. (I wouldn't have put it past her to write the email herself actually...she's a firecracker, that one). So I did, and my first Snarry was born! You can see my illustration for "Down the Rabbit Hole" on WTP. Being RaeWhit, (and you people know her better than I do) are you surprised when she sent me a ton of fest suggestions and basically said, "You're entering, right?" Umm....I didn't think she was going to take no for an answer frankly. And because of her (thanks RaeWhit!) I'm here for the first time in the Games. *looks around nervously*
So ObsidianEmbrace and RaeWhit, I have big squishes for you both! Thanks for being my cheerleaders!
9. Fanfic writers often say the best compliment they can get for their stories is unsolicited fanart. What would you consider the highest form of compliment for your fanart? Having somebody write something to go with a piece of my art! Are you kidding? I'd walk around like a strutting peacock. (And actually somebody did...you can read the accompanying piece at the above link at WTP).
10. Are you excited about being in the Games this year? Big time! I hope I make my team proud!
Thank you, veridian_dair! Stay tuned for more interviews and some Opening Games surprises!