|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-09-21 22:26:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team dragon|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW # 10 - Zephre!
This time we welcome a crack!artist from the Winter Games:
Your Name: zephre
Your Team: Dragon
Archive: (optional) http://www.paintedhippo.com/art
1. Which HP character gives you the most trouble to draw?
Oh, tough one. I very often feel like I am re-creating a visual canon for the books with each illustration I do, so sometimes characters change a lot in my work. If I had to choose, I suppose it would be Minerva, mostly because it's difficult to draw age in a woman in a way that is both convincing and flattering.
2. What was the first fandom you ever produced art for?
I'm sure I was drawing all kinds of stuff for years before I was aware of myself as a fan, or a part of 'fandom'. My first fan art that knew it was fan art was probably for an RPG of Anne McCaffrey's Pern.
3. Has your experience in fandom changed the way you do art? How?
Well, I draw a lot more sex now. Seriously, fandom basically inaugurated me in digital art. I still do some work in traditional media, but most of my illustration is digital now.
4. In a Snape/Harry/Dragon cage match, who wins?
I've been a dragon fan for longer than Harry has existed, folks. The beast would leave our heroes so much smeary ash on the cage floor. (But at least they would be smeary ash together!)
5. What are your favourite mediums to work with?
Adobe Photoshop's smooth round Wacom brush with pressure sensitivity. And pencil/charcoal/conte crayon on paper (usually a Moleskine notebook). I'm learning to use Prismacolors, though. whee!
6. What do you consider your strongest talent? Your weakest?
I am a portrait artist. I capture realistic likenesses of people and animals. I am very good at rendering what I see. I don't work very well from imagination, however, especially not backgrounds or urban landscapes.
7. Is there a piece of art that you think is your absolute best so far? Would you link it for us?
Hm. I tend to like best whatever was most recently done. My current favorite is my latest Harry Potter Tarot Card, The Lovers. From a technical and artistic perspective, I love it. It's one of my most successful pieces, I think. You can see it at Insanejournal here.
8. What (or who) inspires you in Fandom?
Most of my inspiration comes from my expanding circle of fan friends, who create fic and art and share it on LJ or IJ.
9. Fanfic writers often say the best compliment they can get for their stories is unsolicited fanart. What would you consider the highest form of compliment for your fanart?
A request for a special piece from someone who likes what I do. Or a fanfic written for one of my pieces. ;) Love those, too.
10. Are you excited about being in the Games this year?
Oh, yes. It's amazing to experience the collaboration that comes with teamwork, and getting feedback and just wallowing in the creative vibe. It makes me want to create, which is a fantastic feeling
Thank you, zephre! Stay tuned for more interviews and some Opening Games treats!