CHAMPION INTERVIEW #47, Team Dragon member, HPStrangelove!
Your Name (lj and/or Penname): HPStrangelove Your Team:Team Dragon (If we had been allowed a choice, it's the one I would have asked to be on, so I am very lucky)
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
I actually don't think about it much. I see the original books as the basis for fanfiction, but I expect most writers to make the story their own. Even JK doesn't stay compliant within her own universe.
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
My reason for writing my first fic came quite by accident. I joined the D2D Yahoo Group, thinking it was for reading fics, not for the Waves. I didn't write for the Wave that I joined under (the History challenge), but they didn't delete me from the group. When the 'What If' challenge came out, the plotbunny bit me hard. I really wasn't sure I could do it, but I felt guilty for being in the group and not writing anything - so I wrote my first fic. I've only written one other Snarry since then - a birthday fic last year that was accepted at Walking The Plank. That made me feel like a real writer!
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
I think the power struggle - they both are strong characters to me, and that's why I always find the conflict between them exciting. The age difference doesn't bother me because of the longer life span of wizards, and the fact that Snape is older gives him a bit more of an advantage over Harry due to Snape having more experience in life. Over time, I think Harry can hold is own against Snape, and that's why I see them successfully together as adults.
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
He has a miniature one as a pet, similar to Rex in Primeval, only Snape's is much cooler because his breathes fire.
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
I do computer programming for a living, so I have to keep in my head all the different paths of logic that an action can have: if this, then this, but if that, then something else. I find that when I write, I can use that same thought process to keep all the tiny details in mind, to remember where they would come into play, and to get rid of things that end up not being important.
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
Using Texas slang: I still laugh over Rakina catching my 'you all' that showed up in a fic, Using 'if' when I should use 'whether', and I am still catching on to the use of past perfect, but I'm not quite there yet.
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
No, but I would love to write a fic inspired by some of my favorite artists. There is a particular painting that shows Harry blindfolded, although the other person is not Snape. Many times before I attempt a sex scene, I think on that painting to get me in the mood.
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
I think Severus was shortchanged in Book 7. I've read many fanfics that have a more satisfying resolution, so I suppose that means I enjoy fanfic more now that the books are complete.
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
Well, I'm partial to blindfolds, and with my Games entry, I've done my best to raise the count of fics where one is used.
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
I feel so challenged! It is the one fest that I read each and every fic that is posted because I know the quality will be the highest that is possible, and I am doing my best to keep that quality going in my fic. It turned out to be very long, about 60k words, and I think the length will be a challenge for some readers. But several who've previewed it tell me they get drawn in to it, so I feel very happy with what I've written.
Thank you, hpstrangelove! Stay tuned for the last few Champion Interviews and Opening Games Crack!Art! Due to the technical difficulties on IJ, we have posted two interviews today to help the schedule. We will post the remaining interviews throughout the Games.