|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-04-12 23:36:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team phoenix|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW #39, Ziasudra!
Your Name: ziasudra_fic (or "ziasudra" on IJ)
Your Team: Phoenix
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
To me, everything in the HP books is canon, including the Epilogue. Charity books like "Fantastic Beasts" and "Quidditch Through the Ages" are canon as well, imho, but they would be one step lower than the seven HP books on canon-ness if I were to rank them. I don't consider JKR interviews canon and take them with a large grain of salt. With this definition in mind, I'd consider something canon compliant if it follows the materials in the HP and charity books.
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
Definitely. Fanfic gives me the opportunity to explore different kinds of writing. I used to write were essays/research papers for school, and now I write reports/grant proposals for work. There's not much room for creativity, so fanfic is my "outlet" for writing things I like, such as dialogues, "colorful" stage-setting paragraphs, thoughts from a specific character's POV, etc.
As a result of writing fic, I've started to incorporate more variety in my everyday writing. An example would be this post about my encounter with a homeless person in my RL journal. I don't think I'd have been able to write something like this if I haven't been writing fanfic.
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
The canon relationship between the two of them was what drew me to the pairing. There's so much enmity and hatred, but even in the beginning books of the series, I sensed there was something underlying the way Snape treated Harry. In canon, we see that played out into Snape's resolution to protect Harry for Lily's sake. In fanon, I take joy in making the boys tread the fine line dividing love and hate (and tipping them over into love *g*).
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
Phoenix tears. After the war, fanon!Snape started his own mail-order potions & potions ingredients business, in which he made a fortune from selling the Wolfsbane potion and everything phoenix tear-related. With that money, he purchased a cottage in southern France, where he and Harry reside happily ever after.
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
Ideas. I tend to have some rather creative ideas when plotting a story. Usually, a plot bunny would have to bite me hard enough before I decide to get off my arse to write something. I suppose it's a natural process of elimination, with less interesting plot bunnies left behind due to my laziness. *g*
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
My beta would ask really good questions regarding certain plot points/transitions between scenes to force me to look at the story as a reader. Usually, what makes perfect sense to me wouldn't make so much (if any) sense after all, and I'd have to go back to clarify things.
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
nenyaentwhistle and I started writing a Snarry collaboration once, but then Book 6 came out and it totally jossed our story's canon. It was a lot of fun though, and I'd definitely consider collaborating with someone again.
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
I find the closing of canon less freeing, mostly because I consider the Epilogue just as much canon as the other chapters, so I'll have to reckon with the "nineteen years later" before I can write something I consider canon-compliant. Then there's the tiny problem of a certain character dying of a snake bite... though I can certainly work around that ;)
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
I'd love to see more fics set in Hogwarts during the trio's seventh year when they were out camping. Headmaster!Snape is a theme (kink?) I want to read more about.
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
I always love being part of the Snarry Games. I look forward to playing again this year!
Thank you, ziasudra_fic! Stay tuned for the last week of Champion Interviews and Opening Games Crack!Art!