|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-04-01 22:31:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team phoenix|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW #31, Tarteaucitron!
Your Name: tarteaucitron (or tarte)
Archive link(s): http://girl-tarte.livejournal.com/1
Your Team: phoenix! \o/
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
canon is a useful tool, but i don't stick rigidly to it if it's going to stand in the way of a story, and i'm not bothered if the author i'm reading doesn't either. for instance, no one should feel they have to spend several chapters getting ginny weasley out of the way. on the other hand, i'm interested in stories that at least have some canon basis, like characterization and setting, and it can be fun to stick little nuggets of obscure canon in sometimes (god bless hp lexicon).
in my opinion, canon things you can safely ignore include: the epilogue, the interviews, snape crying like a girl over fragments of letter
canon things you can't ignore include: harry's temper, snape's temper, their ferocious sexual compatibility
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
yes! i got into hp really late, so there was mountains of fic ready and waiting. i went mainly on personal rec lists from friends, but found that there were some authors i could read almost anything by, and who've certainly been the most influential in terms of characterization, story framing etc: tryfanstone, calligraphy, ellen fremedon, lots of others. it's a fandom truism, but my all-time most influential snape characterization is by cybele in if you are prepared.
my reading has got a lot more erratic since i started writing, partly because i am frightened of being too influenced.
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
that their hatred of each other is based on illusion and prejudice and the forms of society, and that it could be so easily flipped over into something else. it's a classic romantic set up.
we never really really see snape's point of view (except in the very select snapshots of 'the prince's tale'), so his internal landscape is totally open to interpretation, and as for harry – there's a small part of me that thinks: if only he would sit down and watch the films, he'd probably start looking at snape in a whole new way.
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
healing tears, obviously. also for setting fire to 1st year essays.
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
um. i'm told i have a nice style and that i can produce a vivid image.
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
under-explaining things. i like to leave a lot of things implicit, and i sometimes take that too far.
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
yes, i used to tig a lot in previous fandoms, and i've co-written a little in hp (not always finished stuff). it's fun, but i think you need to have a basis of trust and know your collaborator's work well. it's a secret shameful dream of mine to have something i've written illustrated.
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
actually a little less freeing. but that might be because i didn't start writing in hp until after hbp was published, so i don't have a history of incorporating new canon – or coping with disappointed expectations. :)
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
i don't have strong feelings about this. most of all i like to read something original. i'm not a terribly kinky person, nor wedded to any particular genre. having said that, i am an absolute ho for young!beautiful!eager/angry!comestooquic
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
over the moon! terrified! (over the moon - terrified - over the moon - terrified - etc. ad inf.)
Thank you, tarteaucitron! Stay tuned for more Champion Interview and Opening Games Crack!Art.
We would also like to wish our affiliate, the hd_worldcup, good luck in their inaugural Games, which began posting today!