|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-03-23 23:25:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team dragon|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW #28, Dracofiend!
Your Name: dracofiend
Archive link(s): My LJ memories
Your Team: Dragon, baby
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
Mm, it's a moving target. I mean, there are a lot of fixed facts--I admit I take a strict view as far as The Epilogue--you gotta comply with the big E if you're going for full canon compliance. But there are a lot of squishy places too, especially in characterization. Epilogue circumscribes it a little, because you get a glimpse how these folks turned out as adults--but it's only a scene, really, and how much does that tell you? Over time people can change in some startling ways, and also not change in some startling ways...and I think a fanficcer or fan artist is entitled to pick and choose there.
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
YEAH fandom! I started out in the good ship H/D and picked up some basic phrases that I'm fairly certain I've never used outside of fandom. I mean, do people's eyes really "darken with desire"? I don't know! As far as influences, I feel like everything I've ever read is another little nudge in one direction or another--I'm very impressionable that way. :) At this particular moment, the stories that float to mind are mia_ugly's Hush, Calligraphy's So Lonely Without Me, and dacro's drabble Classic, which I've never forgotten. But that's just a somewhat representative sampling. ;)
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
The age difference and authority dynamic. They used to squick me terrifically and still sorta do but now I kind of enjoy the discomfort. Is that weird?
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
He probably wouldn't. Harry'd bring it home as a gift from Charlie, inciting Snape's irritation and secret jealousy. It'd knock over some potions or Snape's favorite mug (it's only a baby dragon) and in a fit of annoyance Snape would zap it with a spell and turn it into a kitchen appliance of questionable necessity (maybe a breadmaker).
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
Eee. My husband says 'dialogue.' But he's also playing the Wii and I have my doubts. Grave doubts.
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
Well, I'm my own beta (also my husband--he says he can't think of anything but I think that's the Zelda talking). I know I get either too overindulgent or too lean with my dialogue and explanations. It's so hard, giving the reader just enough to get it, and no more.
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
Absolutely! I've done an H/D with moonlitdark (Harry and Draco are Quidditch players; emo hijinks ensue) which was superfun. I'm also nearly done with a Snarry collab with the_con_cept, which has been fantastic! And I must apologize to Abstract because I've been sitting on it for awhile, desperately trying to get these deadline fics done...yikes sorry Abstract!! I will try to finalize it when I get a chance! Oh, and I'm also in the midst of another one with moonlitdark, featuring Harry/Goyle and Harry/Draco. ;) Alas, that one's on the back burner as well. I really like collabs--the hardest part is just carving out the time to do them!
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
Wellll....I try not to think too much about what JKR intended, because I feel like she intended Snape to be pretty much dead. Sigh.
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
Infidelity fics! Preferably where no women are involved in the pairings...that's a little too het for me. :) Also, voyeurism fics where the voyeurism isn't about watching someone else have sex, but rather about watching the person you love fall in love with someone else.
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
Honored. Humbled. Ecstatic. And, in three more weeks, grim because omg, the fic isn't going to write itself. But it'll be an ecstatic sort of grimness. :D
Thank you, dracofiend! Stay tuned for more Champion interviews and Opening Games Crack!Art!