|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-03-22 12:08:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team phoenix|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW #27, Adbaculum!
Your Name: Ad Baculum
Archive link(s): adbaculum.livejournal.com
Your Team: Team Phoenix
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
The books are my canon. Although, I must admit I place more emphasis on canon consistency for things that appeared earlier in the series than I do for things we learned in the last book. But I suppose that's mostly my dissatisfaction with Deathly Hallows speaking. Not respecting the story makes it very difficult for me to want to remain consistent with it. I used to give JKR's interviews much more weight, but since DH was released and it came out how exceptionally bad she is at keeping her story straight, I've tried to ignore them.
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
Well, fanfic has influenced my writing in that it got me to write fiction in the first place. I don't know that I can point to any particular story that has changed my writing overall. However, there are authors who write certain genres very well and I tend to think about them when I'm writing in that same genre. So, if I'm writing a PWP, I'll think about the authors who write really great smut and ask myself, 'What did they do there? Why did it work so well?' Then I'll try to keep those elements in mind as I write my own story. Sometimes it's successful; sometimes it just serves as a disappointing reminder of how far I have to go.
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
*flails* I...don't know any more. The problem with being a Snarry person for so long is that they've become self-evident. Their relationship is so much a part of my own mental canon that it's not if they get together, it's what part of their time together do I want to focus on today. Which I guess is where the intrigue comes in. There are thousands of permutations of their story and it's up to us to find new and interesting ways to tell them.
No, that still sounds lame. I'm sticking with my original answer: I don't know!
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
I read a great Snape/Fawkes story once...
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
Er...I honestly have no idea. Decent SPAG? That sounds sad, but it's an important part of good fic! *nods convincingly*
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
I have tense issues. I know better and usually catch all of them in my first major edit, but if I give someone an unedited draft to look over the tense shifts can be wince inducing.
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
No, but I'd consider doing an author/artist collaboration. I don't know if I could do author/author. The way I write is likely to be too spastic for another person to handle.
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
I thought it would be more freeing, but it has turned out to be much, much less. Whenever I sit down to write now there's this looming dread of all the canon issues I have to deal with before I can get to what I'm actually interested in: how do you deal with Ginny? The kids? Snape's apparent death? Other deaths in the series? And even if you're writing an AU or not making these things a major part of the story, you still need to make a decision about them and deal with them in some way. I feel like I'm 5 years old again and I've been told I have to eat all my brussels sprouts before I'm allowed to have any ice cream. Only, I have a tendency to react to the situation exactly as I did when I was a kid, which is to give up on the whole nonsense and just go to bed.
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
Squid fic! mmmmmSnarry/squid threesome…..*cough* Sorry. What were we talking about?
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
Yaaay and Ack! Yes, that pretty much sums it up.
Thank you, gnomad! Stay tuned for more Champion interviews and Opening Games Crack!Art!