|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-03-20 22:14:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team dragon|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW # 26- Josan!
Your Name: Josan (josan)
Archive link(s): http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memori
Your Team: TEAM DRAGON!
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
I have none. The mere fact that this is fanfic makes it non-canon compliant. The only one who can do 'canon compliant' is JKR. It's her universe.
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
Well, it got me writing fanfic. I had been imagining something like it for years, but actually putting it down happened only once I was introduced to the genre. And not to this fandom, but X-Files. I wrote Skinner/Krycek and got royally flamed for it soon after I began - Skinner belonged to Mulder, don't you know! So, I suppose that did influence my writing. :-)
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
Snape's greater intellectual abilities and Harry's subservience/submission. They are both courageous men, but for very different reasons. Snape will do anything to expiate his sense of guilt. Harry has no choice: the role was dropped on him due to circumstances beyond his control. But they both rise to the occasion.
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
Discipline in the classroom.
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
According to feedback, there are two: my 'simple' language, and my OCs. Also, the fact that my Snape is never completely 'healed'. That's three. Or reformed. Make it four. (Hmmm, I sound like the Spanish Inquisition there,don't I? LOL)
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
Sigh. I work in two languages: English and French. Seems I unconsciously incorporate sentence structure from the latter. Thankfully, one of my regular betas also works in both languages, as an editor, and she straightens me out.
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
Yes. kaiz and I wrote Matter of Trust together (Severus Snape and Kingsley Shacklebolt), and had planned to continue the series until RL decided otherwise.
It was an interesting exercise. A bit like a rally race. I had the baton, then handed it over to her who handed it back to me. When we had sole control of the baton, we dictated the action, the behaviour (to a certain extent) of both characters. In the hand over, there was a blending of language, in which we had to listen to the other and accommodate that person's vision.
Turned out that a story which should have been about 50K ended up being 1495K. (We discovered we were both detail freaks.)
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
Hmmmm, not an easy answer here. In some ways I am finding it harder to write, merely because I am used to writing against something, like another book on the way. No more books on their way means I have to find something different to write against.
Moreover, I think there has to be a period of 'mourning' once a series, be it book or TV based, is over. I find that I can't read those "And they lived happily ever after" stories right now.
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
Leather. Chocolate syrup. Some really vicious, nasty, mean stories.
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
First of all, I was very honoured to have been selected. So many good writers were in the pool. Then I worried. Would I be good enough to hold my own with them? Would readers accept what I'd written? (Always a fear with me.)
Now, after reading people's posts and realising that we are all in the same boat, I think that, should we go down (which I sincerely doubt!), we shall do so with intelligence, honour, humour, wit, valour and screaming like banshees all the way.
Thank you, josan! Stay tuned for more Champion Interviews and Opening Games Crack!Art!