|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-03-10 23:12:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team phoenix|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW # 19 - Treewishes!
Your Name : TreeWishes
Your Team: Phoenix
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
For me, canon tends to include books, movies, and additional info from TPTB. But this is really kind of a non-question, because I like fanworks that subvert canon in ways that range from subtle and outrageous, to the point where canon becomes pretty much meaningless.
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
Yes! It was any number of stories, but I can point to a specific writing workshop given by Joan Martin at Mountain Media Con (a very long time ago) that helped me understand the "shape" of a story -- how big the exposition is, and where the big plot points are placed inside, and how the different situations are resolved and nested together, and so on... how to know when your story is over, and how to make sure you actually write the critical scenes rather than condense them down to a couple of sentences! If I had to point to one story, I think it would be DementorDelta's Devil Will Drag You Under, which showed me how you could write something so very, very wrong IRL that works so very, very well in fanfic. :D
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
Their similarities and their differences. And I'll point to one more story here -- Atrata's In Between Days which is really a seminal look at these two most intriguing characters.
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
Well --- I have tried at various times to convince people that Fawkes is Snape's animagus form. Which I think has been *mostly* disproven in canon, but -- still would love to read that sometime! :D
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
Coming up with creative ways to subvert canon. (Of course, my greatest weakness is in executing them...)
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
Er, not writing slash? I really have to fix that...
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
One of my very first stories was a group effort, and a very fun and successful one. We wrote a story over the course of a couple of days at a slash con. It's harder for me to write with others when I don't have that kind of deadline, as I tend to write in fits and starts.
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
Oh -- much more freeing! I've always felt it's better to work with closed canon in any fandom. The HP books were a bit of an anomaly as we had "semi-closed" canon for years at a time in between books.
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
Romantic non-con/dub-con. Yes, really! Mod says: Hell, yeah!
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
Thrilled!!! Mostly nervous and nailbiting right now, but overall thrilled!
Thank you, treewishes!
Stay tuned tomorrow for Opening Games Crack!Art, which we remind artists that the time is running out on! ONLY 5 DAYS LEFT TO SUBMIT CRACK ART!