|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-02-26 21:58:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team phoenix|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW # 9 - BethH!
Your Name: Beth H (aka, bethbethbeth)
Archive link(s): My web site (with a linkto my huge, multi-fandom recs page) and just my Snarry at Walking the Plank
Your Team: Phoenix, baby!
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
While I like the movies, I only consider the information contained in the books to be canon. This isn't to say I'm not willing to borrow an idea from one of the interviews, for example, if it suits a story I'm writing, but if it contradicts something in the actual series, I can't really think of it as canonical, precisely.
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
Hmm. I don't think any specific story influenced my writing (although Predatrix's ""The Love Song of Bastard and Idiot" probably created my obsession with desperate, needy sex stories). However, there are definitely authors (like atdelphi) and rexluscus) whose work has encouraged me to take more chances with pairings or plot.
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
The challenge of getting them together. Quite frankly, it's pretty unlikely that these two guys would ever look twice at each other in ordinary circumstances, but at the same time, many of the most unlikely scenarios serve as the basis for the most brilliant stories.
Also? Who better than a man with a "saving people thing" to pair up with someone like Snape, who needs saving (whether he wants to admit it or not).
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
Gee, let's see. There's Snape, breathing his last on the floor of the Shrieking Shack - and there's a Phoenix, whose tears have amazing healing properties. Sounds like a match made in heaven to me!
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
Probably humor (although that might also be my greatest weakness, since humor creeps into even my angstiest stories and kind of kills the mood, sometimes.).
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
Whining about not being able to finish writing the sex scenes?
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
Officially, only in another fandom. Three months of trading story files back and forth with another author (kelliem in the Due South fandom)...and it was extremely fun.
In HP though, well, no, I have no official collaborations under my belt (my collaborators from this year's Smutmas are busy maintaining the polite fiction that they were just beta'ing for me.)
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
Canon always imposes constraints. Of course it was easier to imagine unlimited possibilities when we only had to take the first book into consideration, but even today, all it takes is a clever enough 'work-around' to write whatever futures we want for our favorite characters.
(And sometimes, changing the future is merely a question of Future By Fiat: "When Snape wakes up, he's a pony and Harry is the 13 year old girl who loves him!")
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
Well, personally I'm always a fan of sexual desperation (and drunkenness in fic, which is weird, since I don't drink at all), but honestly, I think HP has just about all the kinks anybody could wish for.
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
Thank you, bethbethbeth!
Stay tuned tomorrow for the first volley of CRACK!ART! Plus, more interviews (and comment pr0n, evidently *g*)