|snarrymod (snarrymod) wrote in snarry_games,|
@ 2008-02-18 21:07:00
|Entry tags:||interviews, team dragon|
CHAMPION INTERVIEW #2 - RaeWhit!
And now, representing Team Dragon, their
Your Name: joanwilder (RaeWhit)
Archive link(s): http://raewhit.brokensymmetry.net/
Your Team: DRAGON. ROARRRR!!!
1. 'Canon compliant' is a hot button topic in Harry Potter fandom (thanks to all the 'After-Book Specials' JKR is hosting). What is your definition?
Personally, I've never cared a whit about which brand of towels anyone in the books happened to use—Cannon, Wamsutta, Laura Ashley, it's all the same to me…. Seriously, for me it means 'book fact' based fic versus 'alteration of book fact' based fic, plain and simple. No frills.
2. Has fanfic influenced your writing? If yes, was it a particular story you can name for us?
Hmm, I'd have to say yes, since ninety percent of what I've written has been fanfic. Writing fanfic has also encouraged me to write more original fiction, some of which I've posted. I don't think there's any particular fic that's influenced my writing per se, although Cybele's "If You Are Prepared" was responsible for making me want to write Snarry. I still read it at least twice a year, and I'm still blown away every time.
3. What element(s) about the relationship between Snape and Harry do you find most intriguing?
That they hate each other for stupid reasons. That's bound to be fodder for steamy hot unresolved issues sex. And that they're tied together by so many things; even canon didn't spare them this.
4. How would Severus Snape find your team mascot most useful?
He'd tether it by a ball and chain to the Potions classroom floor (oh wait, not an original idea, that) and use it to intimidate students. In the evening, he'd harness its primary weapon for damp-dungeon heating, ever the inventor.
5. What would you consider your greatest strength in writing?
In the writing itself, I'd have to say that I know how to create compound sentences and have them mean something. More contextually, I'd say it's my ability to develop a complex story and story-tell it, and make the characters real and believable.
6. Is there something your beta(s) constantly catch you doing?
We both freak over word repetition, so that would be one thing. As for constantly, I don't think so, except this annoying habit I have of typing too fast and leaving out spaces in places. Hehe, spaces in places…oh look, the shiny!
7. Have you ever collaborated/partnered with another author or artist? If yes, please describe it for us. If no, would you consider it?
Yes, I've done this with an author that I beta for—it ended abruptly when it became clear that we couldn't agree on where this story should be going (more specifically, who was going to get Harry—Snape or Lucius). Need I say more? I am presently writing a story about a piece of tripperfunster's art, which I think would be the extent of any collaboration I'd do. I'm far too territorial, I think, to collab on a fic on fic.
8. Now that canon is complete, do you find it more freeing or less when it comes to writing or enjoying fanfic/fanart?
No difference—I've adjusted, as I always have, and if something tickles my fancy, I'll read or write or look at, regardless of canon.
9. In your opinion, what kind of kink/theme does fandom need more of?
Hmmm, I love kinky fic—hardcore kinks, like BDSM, bondage, dubious con,
D/s, sex toys, but I also would like to see more slash where the pair are in an established relationship and are mature adults. I love first-time fics, and have written my share of them, but fics with the two of them as a mature couple make me sigh and get a beer.
10. How do you feel about participating in this year's Snarry Games?
As I did last year, I'm honored to write for the best fen in fandom. And I have to tell you, my team is extraordinary. We're doing all sorts of things besides writing that have made us close and neurotic, and well, more of a team. We're still writing, though. Never fear! There will be DRAGON SNARRY!! And by that, I mean there will be dragons in the Snarry and Snarry with the dragons! In every single story!
Thank you, joanwilder!
Stay tuned for more interviews!