In Ur Storiez, Fixin Ur Gramer
|Name:||Punctuators Grammar Workshop|
|About:||Welcome to Punctuators, a resource for fanfic writers. This community exists to help writers with grammar questions, and is open to all fandoms. We focus mainly on helping authors with sentence- and paragraph-level concerns, including punctuation, tenses, and all the other minutiae which must be considered in good writing. Please read the rules before posting.|
Punctuators is an open and unmoderated community. Please be aware that Punctuators is slash-friendly; do not join if homosexuality offends you. There may also be explicit material behind cut-tags.
Some of the posts you may see:
- Simple questions about grammar. What is a gerund? How should I format dialogue? When do I hyphenate adjectives? If you have a question, ask; if you know the answer, share.
- Actual sentences or paragraphs from works in progress, which the author thinks are incorrect. Members, you are welcome to post your sentence or paragraph and state your concern/question. Please do not post your entire story here; we are not a beta service. Authors may also post sentences which break rules for effect, to ask for opinions on efficacy.
- Explanations of common mistakes which the poster wants to clarify to the community and the fanfic-writing population at large -- how to punctuate dialogue, for example. When posting such explanations, please keep in mind our goal at Punctuators is to help authors improve, not gripe about the state of the English language. Examples of both good and bad grammar are encouraged, but please do not quote from works of fanfiction; I'm sure you're clever enough to invent your own. References and links to helpful sites are also encouraged.
- Discussions and interest posts. The first is self-evident, and the second is just as it sounds: if you find something interesting, paraphrase it or post a link. Anything grammar-related is acceptable.
Anyone may reply to posts, whether you know the answer, have a comment, or want to add to the question. If you are answering a question, please be courteous and clear, and most of all explain why. It does an author little good to blindly follow orders without understanding the concept. Whenever possible include references and/or links to useful websites.
Punctuators has three simple rules:
1. Behave like grown-ups.
2. All adult content must be cut-tagged and warned for. To cut a post, type <lj-cut> before the material in question.
3. Absolutely no pet-peevery allowed. We do not want to listen to people whine about how stupid other people are. If you notice a common mistake cropping up everywhere, by all means educate us on the correct form. Educate, not complain.
|Interests:||4: fanfiction, grammar, punctuation, writing|
|Members:||74: abigail89, absentelements4, accio_arse, amejisuto, amorettea, angelbabecj, auctasinistra, brimac13, |
|Watched by:||60: abigail89, absentelements4, accio_arse, amejisuto, amorettea, angelbabecj, auctasinistra, brimac13, cedara, chaotic_binky, claucita, cooper_fanatic, darkrhiannon, dbassassin, distantuniverse, djin7, dream_country, elistaire, evilmaniclaugh, gabe_speaks, gaycrow, glorydale, godlessharlot, igtow, jadzia7667, jadziahp, klynie1, ladyaurora, lddurham, ldybastet, leasspell_dael, loupgarou1750, lteagleeyes, maeglinyedi, magic_helmet, mairi, midnitemarauder, musigneus, narcissa_malfoy, nimori, nonajf, oxoniensis, purplefeen, rubyfruit_pixie, seryx, severusinvictus, shanti_writes, sidra, smokity, snakeling, stasha2g, sullacat, themadscriptor, unbroken_halo, vamp2puppy, werewindle, wolfstar, xtricks, yanagi, zoerayne|
|Account type:||Free Patient|