Playing with the Boys
a male/male slash community for all fandoms
|Website:||Playing with the Boys at LiveJournal|
|About:||Though I'm mostly into slash of various incarnations of Angel, Spike, or Riley (canon, AU, or even--GULP--RPS) from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel the Series, this community is open to all M/M slash writers because I'm learning more and more that everytime I think I've closed the door on reading something, a great writer always comes along and does such a great job with that pairing or that genre that I am swept away into a kind of fic I swore I'd never read (hence the M/M slash, the RPS...you get the picture). Have you noticed that we have some amazing authors in fanfiction?|
On occasion, once we get enough writers on board, I will be posting an occasional challenge, whether it be prompt-based or plot-based. Members are encouraged to post challenges, as well! Try to make them so that they would fit any pairing, though, rather than naming specific characters, as that would leave some members out of the challenge, so it wouldn't be fun for everyone.
The rules for this community are pretty loose:
Please note: If you have an empty journal--especially if your profile is empty--your membership request will be rejected!
1. Adults only. This means several things: Membership is by approval only, members must have their birth years in their profiles to be approved, and posts to the community will be friends only automatically. It does not mean that all posts must be adult. It merely means that I am taking precautions so that organizations like Net Nanny don't complain and shut me down.
2. If your work contains material you wouldn't see on a standard television program, mark it as adult. I don't care what rating system you use, as long as people can tell that it's not for a child's eyes. Again, this is to placate organizations like Net Nanny.
3. Please use warnings, and use your common sense when deciding if you need them. A couple good questions to ask yourself when in doubt: 1. Would I see this sort of action outside of a porn movie? (If the answer is no, you most likely need a warning for it because it's probably going to squick someone.) 2. If something like this had happened to me or to someone I loved and I came across it in a fic, would I be upset? (If the answer is yes, you need to put a warning because you could be writing a psychological trigger for someone's post-traumatic stress.)
4. Please use LJ cuts immediately after your work's headers/introduction, no matter how big or small it is. This way, we take up as little space as possible on people's friend lists but still show up boldly because LJ cuts show up in bold.
Now that LiveJournal has the Rich-Text posting option, making an LJ cut is very easy to do. If you need help, contact the maintainer (address is in this profile), and she'll give you step-by-step instructions.
5. This isn't just a fanfiction community. No way! You're welcome to post pretty pictures of naked men, together or alone, manips of our favorite guys together (PLEASE be sure you have the permission of the original artist if it's not yours and PLEASE be sure you credit that artist when posting if you do!
But, seriously, this community is open to anything and everything slash: fanfiction, icons, fan art, manips, and videos. (Please only provide links and descriptions to videos. Please do not embed videos in your posts. Thank you!) NO MYSPACE OR YOUTUBE LINKS, PLEASE, AS THOSE VIDEOS OFTEN CONTAIN MALWARE. I SPEAK FROM AT LEAST 5 PERSONAL EXPERIENCES.
6. ABSOLUTELY NO FLAMING OR TROLLING. I do know how to use the ban function, folks. I also have the IP address function turned on, so I'll know if it's you again with a different username. (Circumventing bans this way can get you permanently removed from LiveJournal, btw.)
7. DO NOT criticize anyone's work without discussing the part of it with which you had a problem. Otherwise, you are merely being insulting and are not helping that person grow as a creator at all. If you are incapable of turning your criticism into something constructive, keep it to yourself. Thank you.
EXAMPLES OF CONSTRUCTIVE VS. DESTRUCTIVE CRITICISM:
CONSTRUCTIVE: I think you meant to say, "He thrust the stake through his heart," in the second to last paragraph instead of steak.
DESTRUCTIVE: Geez, you can't even spell stake right.
CONSTRUCTIVE: When writing a character who has a particular way of speaking such as Spike or Angelus, it might make it easier to read if, instead of putting the accent in the spelling, you were to use some characteristic phrases a person with that sort of accent might use to get the accent to come through that way.
DESTRUCTIVE: I can't understand what they're saying half the time!
8. Any ideas, questions, comments for or about the community? Would you like to be a moderator, too (web community management experience required)? Send the maintainer an e-mail and tell her!
Thanks bunches! Enjoy the community!
Background tile by The Absolute Background Textures Archive!
|Interests:||46: anakin/obi-wan, angel, angel/riley, angel/riley/spike, angel/spike, angel/spike/riley/graham, angel/xander, angelus/spike, angelus/william, ani/obi, ats, blucas/marsters, boreanaz/marsters, brokeback mountain, btvs, david/james, db/jm, fanfic, fanfiction, fic, fine/clark, graham/riley, graham/riley/spike, james/marc, james/nick, liam/william, m/m, m/m slash, male/male, male/male slash, marsters/blucas, marsters/brendan, obi-wan, obi-wan kenobi, professor fine/clark kent, riley/spike, riley/xander, rpf, rps, slash, spander, spangel, spangelus, spike/xander, spiley, xangel|
|Moderators:||2: dfasgiles, truly_tazi|
|Watched by:||5: dfasgiles, duskpeterson, tamibrandt, terrible_tues, truly_tazi|
|Account type:||Free Patient|