|Name:||Orthogon Alley, home for AU fics and recs|
Welcome to Orthogon Alley1, the Harry Potter Alternate Universe community! Welcome here are any AU fics or links to fics, or general discussion about AU issues. Please include ratings and warnings when posting. If you are reccing fic or art please include a statement stating what you like about it (it doesn't have to be long).
New canon affects alternate universe construction in a particular way. Remember that our definition of AU is "deliberately contradicts canon" - the problem is when the canon that is contradicted is from the new book, and is therefore a spoiler.
From now to September 30, this community will be on moderated posting. If the canon contradicted by the fic you rec or post is from Deathly Hallows, then there needs to be a BIG WARNING for SPOILERS and everything spoiler-like needs to go underneath an LJ cut, thusly:
<lj-cut text="SPOILERS AHOY">This fic is AU because Sirius didn't die at the department of mysteries.</lj-cut>
Obviously that's a spoiler for Order of the Phoenix, but you get the idea.
The term "Alternate Universe" has many different meanings to different people. A general definition might be a story which deliberately contradicts canon. For the purposes of this community, AU includes:
1. Settings just like canon except that something has been changed - someone did or didn't die, someone said something instead of holding back or vice versa, Harry is raised by Snape, etc. The consequences of this change could be small, or they could be enormous. (Sometimes known as "alternate timeline" fic, or "branching" AU.)
2. Settings just like canon except for some change in the basic premise - all the genders are reversed, there are no such things as Squibs, or Muggleborns don't receive Hogwarts letters, for example.
3. Contextual reassignment - taking some or all of the Harry Potter characters and putting them into a different time or place. For example, a non-magic AU or a fic set in the 18th century.
Generally not included for this community:
* settings just like canon except for the introduction of an original character.
* crossovers, either with other fandoms or with the real world (i.e. no swapping Dan Radcliffe in as Harry or vice versa).
* time travel fics.
* fic made AU by later books. Again, if a story doesn't deliberately contradict canon, it is not considered AU for the purposes of this community.
May or may not be included:
* any fic in which the answer to the question "Is this really an AU?" is a spoiler. Please don't spoil fics for other readers!
* "So-and-so comes back from the dead" fics, set in a time period beyond the scope of the books themselves (it depends on what you consider "canon" and what is deliberately contradicted).
If you're not sure, go ahead and post it. If it becomes a problem, we will revisit the definition of AU and see what the community wants to do. Discussion about AU fics or the process of writing them is also allowed and encouraged. Any questions please ask me, summerborn - contact info is on my profile page. Thanks and happy ficcing!
1 - "Orthogonal" is a term meaning "perpendicular", or at a ninety-degree angle. So if something goes off "orthogonally", then it takes a direct turn away from the direction it was headed in, just as an alternate timeline story might split off from canon and go in a completely new direction. Use in everyday conversation at your own risk.
|Interests:||13: alternate reality, alternate universe, alternate universes, alternative universe, au, aus, fanfic, fanfiction, harry potter, harry potter alternate universe, harry potter au, hp alternate universe fic, hp au fic|
|Members:||2: akuma_river, summerborn|
|Account type:||Free Patient|