Springsmut 2009 sign-ups! (on LJ)
Sign-ups are a go! We are so excited for this year's fest, and we hope you all are to! Please read the rules thoroughly - a few things have changed this year, including rules about pairings - and then comment to the LJ post with your sign-up information.
1. Fanfic/art should be:
At least 1000 words in length, beta read/free of spelling and grammar issues. Artists have no minimum requirement, but should think of the "under 1000 words" equivalent as something that is merely a sketch or done in MSPaint. In either case, you should put real effort into your gift!
rated NC-17 or R. This is a smut fest, so on with the pr0n!
It should also contain any and all HTML that you wish included (such as italics). We will NOT go back and edit these in for you; your fic will be posted as it is received.
Not part of a series, or a sequel to a fic that the giftee may not be familiar with.
Based on the prompt originally assigned to you. No switching prompts/recipients or having a writer write fic for your art without consulting with the mod first.
2. You have to be 18 by the date of the first posting (March 1). Considering all the LJ issues with ToS this year, it is a necessary precaution, even though we will be hosting all fic and art on Insane Journal. We do not wish to be liable, and I’m sure you don't either, for creating adult-oriented material for a minor.
3. You request, you write/draw. That's the deal. If for some reason you find that you can't write for the fest, please let us know ASAP. The fun of the exchange is that everyone writes/draws a fic/art, everyone gets a fic/art, and it's no fun tracking down no-shows. If you're only interested in reading/looking, that's more than allowed. Just friend the community and enjoy the fic/art.
4. Seriously: it's no fun tracking down no-shows. RL happens, things change, etc, etc. and we don't mind finding backup writers. We do mind finding backup writers on March 15th. If for some reason, you're not going to be able to complete your assignment, let the mods know as soon as possible.
5. Upon completion, please e-mail your fic/art to firstname.lastname@example.org with Springsmut submission and your username in the title. This is very important: please include your LJ/IJ username in ALL correspondence.
6. Do not post your fic or art outside the community until after April 1st, when identities are revealed. Afterwards, feel free to post anywhere, just include a note that it was written for here.
7. Any questions may be directed to nqdonne or midnitemarauder at email@example.com or on Y!M at nqdonne or midnitemaraud_r.
8. Sign-ups will remain open until December 19, at which point assignments will be sent out ASAP. Completed fics are due back in our inbox by either Sunday, February 8, 2009 (if you are a first- or second-time participant) or Sunday, February 15, 2009 (if this is your third or more time in this fest). Please notify the mods if you will need an extension at the earliest possible time.
9. Posting of fics will begin on March 1 and continue through March. Frequency of posting will depend on number of participants.
10. Het, slash, femmeslash, incest, cross-gen, Next Gen, bitextuality, threesomes, moresomes, kink and squick of any kind are all welcome within the fest. However, the one thing that is not permitted is popular pairings, as the idea is to not only create lots of fun porn and giftfics for the participants, but to create variety. This year's list of excluded pairings is as follows:
Though all of these pairings are most certainly allowed as a part of a threesome or as an additional pairing in a fic centered on a rarer pairing. And just a note that Next Generation pairings are more than welcome! Albus-Severus/Scorpius, Teddy-pairings, James Jr. pairings, etc. – in fact we hope to see requests for these as they are STILL an exciting, new frontier in rarepairs!
*NEW* 11. When making your requests, please take into account your fellow participants. Yes, this is a rare pairs fest, and we love rare pairs, but there's a difference between, say, Colin Creevey/Draco Malfoy or Rose Weasley/Scorpius Malfoy, and requesting pairings with characters who have no lines of dialogue in canon or a known parent for extrapolative purposes, and were merely mentioned during the Sorting or similar (like Natalie McDonald or Eleanor Branstone) We understand that many of you RP, and these minor, name-only characters are important to your RP games, but this is an independent fic and art fest that relies primarily on book canon, and the more difficult your requests, the harder it is for us to match you up with another participant. It's not that we're banning these name-only/extremely minor characters - we wouldn't do that. But we do ask you to be considerate and as practical as possible. If you chose to include a name-only/extremely minor character in your choices, please make sure that you also provide other options for your assignee.
12. We will be proofreading all submissions as a measure of quality control, looking in particular for typos and grammar errors. If we feel your fic has not been sufficiently beta read, we will send it back to you for further edits. Artists you are generally exempt from this, but please put your best efforts into your art, anyway :D If you have any questions about this policy, feel free to email us.
People who dropped out of Springsmut 2008 but gave timely notice are welcome to sign up, but if you bailed at the last minute or went MIA, you will not be permitted to participate.
Please fill in all required fields. Unless a field says "optional," it's required. Make sure to provide a working email address - we would prefer you don't use @ livejournal addresses. Feel free to amend your request either by editing it, as a comment to your original comment or by deleting and reposting as long as sign-ups remain open.
Also, please remember to include art-friendly prompts if you are asking to or okay to receive art! If you put that you are good to receive either, and we assign you to an artist, it is very difficult for them when all they see are fic prompts :D
We encourage you to list as many kinks/squicks as you can think of in order to help guide both us in your assignments and your writer/artist in their writing/drawing, but want to note that you are in no way obligated to write/draw every single one! We'd just like a happy medium between your listing enough specific information for us to go on and your writer/artist being able to pick and choose the few things that work for their bunny. In the same vein, please try to include a variety of rare pairs, per the NEW rule 11, detailed above. We love minor characters, too, but if your sign-up requests are too obscure - and all similar - we're going to have a problem matching you. Just a note! :D
There is a participant cap of 90, so sign-up quickly to reserve your spot. Sign-ups will close December 19th or when we reach 90. Whichever comes first.