|About:||Note: At present this is a backup for the main Dark Christianity community on Livejournal. Decision to move the community permanently is still pending. This community is maintained as a backup in the event of a boldout/strikeout from Livejournal.|
Below is the userinfo imported from LJ to preserve the information. It has not been changed from its LJ version at present time. Should this community be brought online and made active, the information below will change as needed.
Dark Christianity is a place for critical and in-depth examination, exploration and discussion of the right-wing theocratic elements of the Christian faith, and how these religious supremacists are actively eroding the foundations of the separation of church and state in the US. Its major focus is on Dominionist Theocracy (also known as Christian Reconstructionalism) and its many variants. This is not a flame or bash board- it is meant to explore, inform, and educate people about this often stealthy and deceptive fringe of the Christian faith. All religions have their 'dark' side, their extremists and 'talibans'. The Dominionist focus is on the so-called "End Times" as well as the overt (and increasingly successful) attempt to create a mythical 'Christian America' by replacing civil law with Biblical law, and rewriting (and distorting) history to suit their beliefs. This community examines these particular elements of the Christian faith, and seeks to understand the growing and very real threat that their rise to power poses to not only Christianity as a whole, but also to the US and the rest of the world.
"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible." --Jamie Raskin
"If anyone says, 'I love God,' yet hates his brother, he is a liar" --1 John 4:20 (NIV)
Dark Christianity Posting Rules in a Nutshell:
This isn't your standard religious discussion board. We wish to maintain a high level of interest and integrity. In plain English, we require you to do your homework.
* On-topic posts involve information, news, or non-imflammatory observations about Dominionist Christianity. On-topic subjects include "Steeplejacking" (takeovers of moderate churches by extremist groups), stealth evangelism, military infiltration, organizations formed by and for people of Dominionist pursuasion, political motives tainted by Dominionist intent, the continuing attempts to subvert the sciences, schools, human rights, etc.
* Posts that are not on topic, or do not have some some explanatory element that connects them directly to the main subject of this board will be deleted. While we understand that there are degrees of connectedness, the responsibility is yours to make that connection.
* Please treat other posters and their religious beliefs (and/or lack thereof) with respect. There are many people of many beliefs (and none at all) who belong to this community. Be considerate. This includes calling 'troll' to questionable posters, use of profanity, sniping at other posters or the moderator team, or posting or reposting intentionally inflammatory posts or provocative comments.
* No prostelytizing for any religion (or no religion at all).
* Please keep images and videos behind an LJ-cut.
* No videos without a description, no chain-mails, spam posts, memes, quizzes or frantic 'act now!' posts. - NO EXCEPTIONS. These posts will be immediately deleted.
* Please put NSFW items and possible "triggers" for religious abuse survivors behind LJ-cuts.
* Please check previous posts and tags to avoid multiple posts on the same subject. This might mean going back several pages, but check the tags first- they have been organized and are actively monitored. This community has been around long enough that we have 'chestnuts' that get revived from time to time.
* If the subject you're talking about is the least bit vague or unclear, please "connect the dots" and explain WHY what you are posting is on-topic in this community. If you are posting a link, please "set it up" with a short summary.
* Do not post links to other peoples' Live Journals without their explicit permission.
* Do not underestimate the collective level of intelligence and education in this community: If you post something spurious, misinformed, poorly researched or that reeks of conspiratorial foil-hattery, you will be called out on it. This community is very good at policing itself, and we have many people who know how to do research beyond Google and Wikipedia. Don't become their chewtoy.
* DO NOT post news articles in their entirety here- post an excerpt (use blockquotes or italics) and a link to the original article. Most papers now maintain better archives, so the chances of it vanishing entirely are not as great.
My mom sent me this article () about $ORGANIZATION and my Dommie-Spidey-Senses started tingling. I checked the tags but didn't see it. Can someone please help me out here? I'm concerned because they seem to behind $LOCAL_ISSUE/CAMPAIGN.
get a load of this!
Any member who breaks these rules will get one warning and on the second occurance will be suspended for 3 months. If the user continues to break the community rules, rather than being suspended a third time, the person will banned.
Joining and posting to this community means that you agree to follow the above guidelines.
If you have a question, please consult our mod team. They're listed below.
We now have a Wiki that has additional material related to this community. Thanks to wyldraven for hosting it.
Here are some pertinent quotes about religion and government from influential personages:
"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..." -- Treaty with Tripoli, passed unanimously by the senate,
signed by President John Adams on June 10, 1797
"No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever..." Thomas Jefferson, in the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom, 1786
"Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law." -- Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814
"Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated." -- President Ulysses S. Grant
"America's ideals are corrupted by human nature, just as the ideals of Christianity are corrupted by human nature. A wise man once said "Satan's greatest trick is to make us think he doesn't exist at all". I disagree, Satan's greatest trick is to make us think we're doing the Lord's Work." --Ordos45
"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." --Blaise Pascal
"A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects ... do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side." --Aristotle
"The truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of reasoning."--Voltaire
"The clergy, by getting themselves established by law and ingrafted into the machine of government, have been a very formidable engine against the civil and religious rights of man." --Thomas Jefferson
"The Presbyterian clergy are the loudest, the most intolerant, of all sects; the most tyrannical and ambitious, ready at the word of the law-giver, if such a word could not be obtained, to put their torch to the pile, and to rekindle in this virgin hemisphere the flame in which their oracle Calvin consumed the poor Servetus, because he could not subscribe to the proposition of Calvin, that magistrates have a right to exterminate all heretics to the Calvinistic creed! They pant to reestablish by law that holy inquisition which they can now only infuse into public opinion." --Thomas Jefferson
"Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together." --James Madison
"The danger of silent accumulations and encroachments by ecclesiastical bodies has not sufficiently engaged attention in the U.S." --James Madison
"The priesthood have, in all nations, monopolized learning, and ever since the Reformation where or when has existed a Protestant or dissenting sect who would tolerate a free inquiry or free thought. The most ungentlemanly insolence, the most yahoooish brutality, is patiently endured, countenanced, propagated, and applauded. But touch solemn truth in collision with a dogma of a sect, though capable of the clearest proof, and you will soon find that you have disturbed a nest, and the hornets will swarm about your eyes and hands, and fly into your face and eyes." --John Adams
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -- Mohandas Gandhi
"When a Religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and, when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support [it], so that its Professors are oblig'd to call for help of the Civil Power, it is a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one."
--Benjamin Franklin, letter to Richard Price, October 9, 1780
Here are some quotes from religious supremacists:
"Our job is to reclaim America for Christ, whatever the cost. As the vice regents of God, we are to exercise godly dominion and influence over our neighborhoods, our schools, our government, our literature and arts, our sports arenas, our entertainment media, our news media, our scientific endeavors -- in short, over every aspect and institution of human society." --D. James Kennedy, leader of Coral Ridge Ministries.
"The long-term goal of Christians in politics should be to gain exclusive control over the franchise. Those who refuse to submit to the eternal sanctions of God ... must be denied citizenship, just as they were in ancient Israel." --Gary North
“The first strategy and in many ways the most important strategy for evangelicals is secrecy. Sun Tzu says that’s what you have to do to be effective at war and that’s essentially what we’re involved in, we’re involved in a war. It’s not a war fought with bullets. It’s a war fought with ballots.” --Ralph Reed
"In winning a nation to the Gospel, the sword as well as the pen must be used." --Gary North
"I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag, and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands. One Savior, crucified, risen and coming again, with life and liberty for all who believe." --Dominionist Pledge of Allegiance, recited at 2004 conference Reclaiming America for Christ.
Related Communities of Interest (These are on Live Journal)
|Interests:||26: amillennialism, christian nationalism, christian reconstructionism, christianity, church and state, cults, dominion theology, dominionist, end times, evangelicalism, extreme right, fundamentalism, kingdom now, landover, last days, politics, postmillennialism, premillennialism, rapture, religious extremism, religious right, religious supremacy, spiritual abuse, theocracy, theonomy, triumphalism|
|Maintainers:||3: dogemperor, sunfell, wyldraven|
|Members:||35: amethyst_hunter, amilliondays, aukestrel, |
|Watched by:||33: amethyst_hunter, amilliondays, aukestrel, controls_lady, diachrony, distantuniverse, dkmnow, dogemperor, dragovianknight, emilie_burns, hangedwoman, highwindpav, jalendavi_lady, kaskait, lodrelhai, melancharisbron, mercurychaos, nijinonagare, nycscribbler, ravan, ravynstoneabbey, rubyfruit_pixie, sapphoq, sheta_kaey, spikewriter, sunfell, techno_goddess, teh_kittykat, thelittlewitch, tigresslilly, wolfsinger, wyldraven, zellieh|
|Account type:||Permanently Insane|