LJ-SEC: (ORIGINALLY POSTED BY firepie)
In the front office at my agency (which one has to have a key to get into because of patient and client files), thumb-tacked to the wall above the sign in sheet, was a hand-written poster which reads (complete with typos):
GOD HIT LIST
ARE YOU + YOUR FAMILY ON IT. READ ROMANS 10.9 (HOLY BIBLE) TO GET TO HEAVEN [SMILEY FACE].
P.S. PEOPLE WHO DO NOT GO TO CHURCH.
1. PEOPLE WHO DO NOT FEAR GOD.
2. PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEX AND NOR MARRIED, WHOREMONGERS, MURDERERS
3. MEN HAVING SEX WITH MEN
4. WOMAN HAVING SEX WITH WOMAN
5. DEVIL WORSHIPER (IF YOU ARE NOT GOD CHILD YOU ARE THE DEVIL’S CHILD)
6. NOT GIVING YOUR LIFE TO HIS SON JESUS CHRIST (ROMANS 10:0)
7. YOUR & YOUR FAMILY ARE CURSED AND GO THE THE LAKE OF FIRE FOREVER WITH THE DEVIL [FROWNEY FACE]
Needless to say, I filed a formal complaint. The even more fucked-up thing is that when the supervisor on staff started questioning staff, she found out that everyone claims that it was there over the weekend. We are having an audit, so they were all here. They all report that they saw it, but not a single fucking person took it upon themselves to take it down.
I don’t know if they intended their "spreading of the good news" to be taken as a threat, but it was. I mean, is there any other way to read that? And the fact that it’s (obviously) a co-worker (there are only a dozen of us at this site) is really disconcerting. Everyone here knows that I’m gay, that my partner is transgender… We have gay and transgender clients here – what sort of services are they getting? (We provide mental health counseling and substance abuse treatment, as well as HIV case management).
When does preaching the gospel become a form of hate speech? Where is the dividing line?