Yaoi fangirl, here to rant and rave - or whinge, anyway... ^^;
Heya! Just introducing myself; I'm Lupi.
I'm not anti-yaoi, though I am rather embarrassed and frustrated by fans on a daily basis. A few other people have said it: I'm anti-stupidity. So, I thought I'd join and vent my frustrations here (I'm hoping what I whine about's allowed), if not, tell me and I'll leave without a muttering.
Me as a yaoi fangirl can be summed up as: passionate about her pairings, though is open to practically anything should it have a good reason for them liking each other (it better be IC too, dammit). I also like yuri and het, though not as much. I am guilty of many things (including, as Hyu pointed out earlier, the hating of girls because they get in the way of my fav. pairings - though that usually changes as I get into the series. Kagome from Inuyasha, for example, I don't like as a character), though the things I classify as extremely stupid, I've grown out of (cause I grew some brains, yay!). I have levels of liking a pairing:
1) Is usually the stage where I'm really shallow and think things like: "OMG! They're really hawt!" - stuff the other characters that get in the way. 2) They look good together, and their personalities could work, but I'm not going to try and get them to - and, again, stuff the other characters that get in the way. 3) Getting their personalities to work together, as well as the universe they're in (I only really write/draw anything for a pairing when it gets to this level). This includes the characters the characters I've paired together might be in love with in the series still being there and causing me and them problems, etc. For example: I love the InuyashaSesshomaru pairing, but I know Kagome still exists, hence I'm going to use her as the cause of conflict, etc, etc.
Anyway... I admit that up until about two and a bit years ago (looking back now, it's embarrassing), I was one of the yaoi fans I absolutely loathe. Here's what in particular, annoys me about them:
- OOCness reigns supreme. My example is Sesshomaru and Inuyasha from Inuyasha. I love them as a pairing and with other male characters, but in the majority of fics I've read, they are extremely out of character (Sesshomaru doesn't cry for heaven's sake!)
- There is generally no rhyme or reason for two characters suddenly liking each other (despite their never talking, never meeting, etc) other than it was love at first sight. And then they're always there for each other, everything if perfect between them and - as stated above - they suddenly lose all characterisation and become OCs wearing masks.
- Generally, 70% of the time (if not more), fics have a lemon in them that's there for no other reason than to attract attention or reviews. And even if they're shit, they recieve reviews and comments that go something like this: "OMG! That was so hot! You need to right more!" In reverse, if a yaoi fic doesn't have a lemon in it, the author is badgered until they put one in.
- The shipping/character wars are ridiculous. I admit I am quite passionate about the pairings I fangirl over, but I would never go as far as to say: "Are you completely CRAZY!? How can you NOT LIKE UKE!SESSHOMARU!? You're stupid~!" or something along those lines... (I'm not a mean person. T_T) Is it so hard to click the back button and continue on your merry way?
- Ukes/Subs/Bottoms are whiny, needy, femenine - basically girls without boobs that have penises. I admit, I used to be guilty of this, however, seriously... It's ridiculous. Snape is not womanly, dammit! And despite Sesshomaru being pretty, he isn't a girl!
- Fans that give other yaoi fans a bad name. I cannot tell you how many times I've had these words spoken to me: "What? You're a yaoi fan? But you're reasonable/sane/nice/etc!" - I am so glad, I grew brains.
And there's most likely a lot more, but I am not going to bore you all with it. My biggest hate would be the OOCness yaoi usually brings (as you can tell). I'm just hoping that maybe one or two (hundred) of these silly fans read things in these types of communities - heaven knows one or two whining sprees made me think. Maybe they'll change their ways and we all won't have to deal with as many of them - that's most likely wishful thinking though.
Anyway, yes, hello, Lupi, out, sorry for babbling.