|Location:||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|About:||You must be a member to post to this community. Members may post about any topic or discussion that they think might be of interest to other members in the group. Anyone can comment, including non-members. Commentary is encouraged, disagreement is welcomed, respect is required.|
WHAT IS SECOND SATURDAY?
On the Second Saturday of every month, a group of friends meets at a modest house somewhere in one of the most beautiful cities in the world for a potluck dinner, a galvanizing movie, and a dynamic discussion afterward. Our goals?
* To laugh, have a good time, and eat great food.
* To learn something about a a current issue, events in history, or a part of our world in a friendly, fun, and non-judgmental environment.
* To better understand our own beliefs by discussing them in an intellectually rigorous atmosphere.
* To build a foundation of support in these complicated and trying times as a safe haven from despair and apathy.
* To combat our feelings of helplessness with very simple, achievable action items and build on the enthusiasm of the group.
* To leave with a sense of hope and purpose, reinvigorated to face the world.
Movies cover a wide range of subjects, from politics to sustainable farming to current events to religious history and everything in between. We're a smart, diverse group with lots of talents and many interests! Guided discussions follow, including suggestions of simple action items to take. Change is optional, education is inevitable.
Visit our website to learn more.
|Interests:||51: activism, anti-consumerism, buying blue, buying green, buying local, civil rights, debate, democracy, democrats, economics, education, election reform, energy, environmentalism, equality, evolution, foreign policy, founding fathers, freedom of speech, gay rights, history, individual rights, labor movement, labor rights, liberalism, living simply, open minds, oregon, organic, peace, peak oil, politics, populism, primary reform, progressivism, prosperity, recycling, religion, religious freedom, reproductive rights, science, sexual education, slow food movement, sustainability, sustainable development, sustainable living, tolerance, u.s. constitution, unions, universal health care, voting rights|
|Account type:||Free Patient|